Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A night out

We attended the Tiger game last night. The Tigers lost, but Papa and I won. We usually venture to a baseball game once or twice a year. We had no plans to do so this year, and then we had an e-mail from a cousin who was visiting Michigan this summer. Papa has tons of cousins on both sides of his family. I have exactly two total first cousins on my father’s side.

For reasons that I have never understood my Dad’s family, at least in his generation, were not close. I recall only a few family gatherings over the years, and can honestly say that the cousins and I really have no common history or shared experience. Since shared experience is what binds people together, we really have no bond.

The visiting cousin’s wife and I have developed an e-mail friendship over the years, exchanging notes and pictures, so I was delighted to hear that she wanted to meet me and we were looking forward to the visit. Cousin, his wife and mother were planning a visit to Michigan. They had an extensive itinerary of places to go and people to see. When she e-mailed that cousin’s mother, my aunt by marriage, wanted to attend a Tigers game, it gave us an opportunity to meet them there.

What a wonderful time we had. Our group included both of my cousins, their mother, and Papa and I. We visited, ate some junk food, and saw the game too. I was wonderful to see Aunt, the last time I saw her was the summer daughter One was born 37 years ago. She brought a beautiful blanket she crocheted for the baby

The Tigers, who have been very hot lately, had tons of hits, but only two runs, and therefore officially tanked in our presence. It didn’t really matter though, it was a beautiful night, a huge crowd, and nice place and great company!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?